- 3 eggs, separated
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup roughly chopped toasted pecans
- 2 cups of praline brittle (crumbled)
Have all the ingredients at room temperature. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and molasses. Whisk in the buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla. Sift together the flour, cinnamon, cayenne, baking powder, baking soda, the salt and the brown and granulated sugar. Add the flour mixture to the yolk mixture and whisk until smooth. Let the batter rest while preparing the egg whites.
In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold half of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in the remaining whites. Now fold in the praline crumble and pecans.
Cook in a waffle iron to desired texture. Serve with chicken-fried quail, buttered stone-ground grits, a few slices of seasonal fruit and a dusting of powdered sugar or a drizzle of your favorite syrup.