Squash & Root Vegetable Casserole
6-7 different squash/root vegetables: I used 1/2 acorn squash, 2 parsnip roots, 1 medium yellow beetroot, 1/2 medium celeriac, 1 turnip, 1 rutabaga, all cut in relatively same size chunks.
1 medium onion, sliced in half moons
500 ml good stock (organic vegetable or chicken)
4-5 cardamom pods
1/4 tsp of each: ground ginger, cumin, turmeric, white pepper
chili flakes to taste
3 garlic cloves
generous tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp olive oil (+ 1 tbs oil for cooking)
- In a mortar and pestle, pound the cardamom pods until fine (you can use the seeds only, but I usually don’t bother separating, and leave the outside skin in).
- add all the spices and garlic, and pound until forming a paste
- add the lime juice, then add the olive oil
- continue pounding carefully (don’t splash) until all is mixed into a smooth, runny paste
- heat a tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for up to 5 minutes
- add the root vegetables and stir to mix with onions. Let caramelize lightly, stirring regularly for up to 10 minutes
- add the spice paste, stir well to coat all vegetables, and cook for 1-2 minutes (not too long, or it will become bitter)
- add the stock, stir all together, and bring to a boil
- over low heat, simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the hardest vegetable (in my curry that was the beetroot) is soft.