- 1½ cups stone-ground grits
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2½ cups well-seasoned organic vegetable stock
- 8 ounces local chèvre (I use Blue Heron Farm Chipotle Blend)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 (Meyer) lemon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 various medium beetroots (yellow, red, Chioggia, white)
- 4 black radishes
- 2 medium watermelon radishes
- 1 bunch long pink radishes
Preheat oven to 390°.
Beets: Roast whole and unpeeled for up to 40 minutes, or until soft.
Black radishes: Slice, toss with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and roast until charred.
Long pink radishes: Slice lengthwise and toss in the oil & lemon marinade.
Watermelon radishes: Slice in half moons and toss in the oil & lemon marinade.
To cook the grits, bring almond milk and 2 cups of stock to a rolling boil. Lower heat, add the grits and stir. Continue to stir until it thickens and the grits are cooked (soft to taste). Add more stock if the grits are too thick. Mix in half of the chèvre. Keep warm.
Peel the roasted beets, cut into even-sized pieces and brush with the remaining oil & lemon marinade.
Divide the grits over 4 deep bowls, and crumble remaining chèvre over the grits. Arrange all beets and radishes on top of the grits, drizzle with remaining oil & lemon marinade and serve immediately.