- 1 heaped tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 ounces greens, such as moringa, sweet potato greens, broccoli leaves, sorrel, amaranth, etc.
- 1 cup coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges to serve (optional)
Heat the coconut oil in a large pan set over medium-low heat. Add the shallots, bay leaf and a pinch of salt to the pan. Cook the shallots, stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize and turn golden brown. This will take approximately 20–25 minutes.
While the shallots are caramelizing, steam the greens in a steamer basket until just tender and beginning to wilt. Remove the greens and allow them to cool slightly before chopping them into bite-sized pieces. Set the steamed and chopped greens aside.
Once the shallots are caramelized, add the coconut cream or milk, the nutmeg and the black pepper. Allow this mixture to cook from 2 to 3 minutes, then stir in the chopped greens and another pinch of salt. Cook the greens for 2 to 3 more minutes, until they are warmed through. Serve with fresh lemon wedges.