- 1 large sterilized Mason jar
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 medium-sized carrot, diced into ¼-inch rounds
- 1–2 whole small fennel chopped into 1-inch slivers (Your choice to include or remove fronds—I like to include them!)
- 1–2 small onions (equivalent to the total volume of the fennel bulb)
- 1–2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 celery rib, cut into ¼-inch strips
- Juice from 1–2 lemons
- Filtered water
Prepare ingredients. You can either layer the ingredients in the Mason jar or mix them in a bowl before adding to the jar, adding the water last.
Store your finished dishes in the refrigerator. They will continue to ferment, but the process will be much slower.