- 4 large king mushrooms (or double if you have smaller ones)
- Olive oil to brush mushrooms
- Lemon (to finish)
- Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Salt (I use sea salt flakes)
- 3–4 tablespoons kumquat gremolata
- Good extra-virgin olive oil to finish
- 5–6 kumquats
- ½ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 good pinch salt
Slice the king mushrooms lengthwise into ½-inch slices. Heat a nonstick skillet. Brush mushroom slices lightly with olive oil and pan-grill for 2–3 minutes, turning regularly, until softened and lightly caramelized. Season to taste with a couple squirts fresh lemon, pepper and salt.
Divide mushrooms over plates (stack 4–5 slices mushroom for main course), spoon some kumquat gremolata on top, drizzle a little extra-virgin olive oil and serve immediately.
Also great with Rainbow Carrot Tarte Tatin.
Makes about 1 cup
Cut kumquats in half and remove pulp. Cut the skin into thin strips and mix with the chopped parsley and minced garlic. Give it all a couple more good chops and season to taste with cayenne and salt (I use sea salt flakes).
Tip: Use carrot tops instead of parsley, or use a combination of the two.
About this recipe
Kuhlman Cellars Alluvé Red Blend, California, Stonewall, Texas. $28. kuhlmancellars.com