- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 cup Romesco sauce
- 4 scallions, trimmed, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 4–6 ounces Manchego cheese, shaved or thinly sliced
- 1 pound leftover braised lamb (fried eggs or grilled meats work great, too)
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 4 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup peeled and seeded tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 tablespoons almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 5 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled and seeded
- Salt to taste
Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In a food processor, combine peeled garlic, almonds, sherry vinegar, pepper flakes and paprika and pulse to form a coarse paste. Add bell peppers and tomato and blend until smooth. Season with salt to taste.
Note: Sauce can be stored in airtight container in fridge, 1 to 2 weeks.
Brush scallions with oil, sprinkle with salt and, in a seasoned cast-iron pan (or on the grill), cook over high heat until aromatic and lightly charred. Transfer to a plate.
Over burner of gas stove (in a toaster oven set on broil works, too), lightly toast 1 side of each tortilla before flipping and topping with 2–3 slices of Manchego. Rotate over flame until tortilla begins to puff and char in spots and cheese begins to melt.
Transfer tortilla to a plate, slather with a generous spoonful of Romesco sauce and top with shredded lamb, scallions, avocado and radish slices.
About this recipe
Recipe for Romesco sauce loosely adapted from Tasting Table.