- 2 pounds yellow noodles (lo mein / Mi Phuoc Kien), blanched in boiling water; drain and set aside
- 1 pound medium-sized shrimps, deveined, shelled; put shells aside for oup stock
- 1 pound pork belly
- 8 pieces shiitake mushrooms, soaked and cut into thin slices
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 slices fresh ginger
- ½ cup oil
- 8 cups stock made from chicken bones
- A dash of pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 4 stalks green onion, chopped
- 2 red chilies, halved, seeded and cut into thin slices
- 4 medium-sized shallots, sliced and fried till crispy; set aside
- 2 stalks coriander leaves
- 4 eggs, beaten (optionally, add a drop or two of pink coloring), made into omelets and cut into thin strips. Set aside.
- ½ pound bean sprouts, quick blanched in boiling water; drain, set aside
- 4 tablespoons garlic oil
Sauté shrimp shells in 1 tablespoon of oil for 4 minutes.
Bring to boil the stock, add sautéed shrimp shells, ginger and pork belly. Simmer for 20–30 minutes.
Remove pork belly. When cool, slice thinly and set aside. Lower heat and continue to simmer the stock for 20 minutes. Strain stock and return to the pot. Add light soya sauce, oyster sauce and a dash of pepper. Thicken with cornstarch.
Fry chopped garlic in oil until light golden; remove 4 tablespoons for garnishing.
To the remaining garlic oil, add sliced mushrooms and shrimps and stir-fry until shrimps and mushrooms are cooked. Remove and set aside.
To serve: Arrange a portion of blanched noodles in a deep dish. Top with cooked mushrooms, shrimp, pork, blanched bean sprouts and egg omelets. Pour hot soup over the noodles and garnish with fried shallot, green onions, sliced chilies, coriander and a little garlic oil.
Serve hot with a dollop of Sambal Belacan.*
* To make Sambal Belacan: Take 4 or 5 fresh chilies, depending on one’s threshold of spiciness, 3 tablespoons grilled or toasted belacan (fermented shrimp paste) and 3 garlic cloves. Pound them together, adding 1 tablespoon raw cane sugar and 3 tablespoons lime juice before serving.