The Brazilian tapioca snack can be made from tapioca flour or from cassava flour. These are different as tapioca flour is the bleached and extracted starch of the cassava root, while the cassava flour is a whole root; simply peeled, dried, and grounded. These exotic flours can be found in international areas of supermarkets, or ordered online (links at the end of recipe).
Note: The cassava or tapioca flour MUST be hydrated in order to make the tapioca "pancake". If the flour is already hydrated, the hydration step can be skipped. However, if the flour is dry, make sure to correctly hydrate it prior to continue recipe.
- 4 cups of tapioca or cassava flour (500 gr)
- 6.7 ounces of water (200ml)
- Put the flour in a bowl. Slowly add the water, and while you do so, mix the flour with the water very well. It is important to add the water slowly so that you guarantee all of the flour is fully hydrated. Once all the water has been mixed in, let sit for 30 minutes.
- Pass the hydrated flour through a sieve to get rid of all lumps. The hydrated flour should be stored in a sealed container in the fridge, allowing it to last up to 2 weeks.
Below is the recipe for my favorite savory tapioca. Similarly to the açai bowls, I encourage you to fill these with your favorite foods and experiment different combinations!
- Hydrated tapioca or cassava flour
- Almond milk cheese
- Chia seeds
- Goji berries
- Add the hydrated flour to a hot pan. Make sure you create a good layer that is spread out evenly throughout the pan. Wait until the flour is stuck together so that it can be flipped. Once flipped, let it bake on the other side for (around) another minute
- On a separate plate, crumble the almond milk cheese to it is easily sprinkled/spread throughout the tapioca. Spread the cheese and some hummus throughout the middle of the pancake
- Fold the tapioca in half so that the filling is "sandwiched" inside
- Flip the tapioca once again and let it bake a little more on the other side
- Place on a plate
- On a separate small container or cup, mash the avocado until it reaches a creamy consistency. Spread the mashed avocado on top of the tapioca.
- Sprinkle the chia seeds over the avocado
- Add the goji berries over the chia seeds
- Dig in!
About this recipe
Where to buy hydrated flour:
Dry (not hydrated) flour:
Videos to better understand the recipe steps: